Homemade Cheap Herbal Cosmetic CleansersEmail This Post
Herbal Cosmetic Treatments
Making your own skin preparations is itself a pleasurable pastime. Just to stir a handful of rose petals or pot marigold petals into a bowl of steaming water is both invigorating and calming. This then, becomes an indirect form of aromatherapy. You may wish to scent the following cleansing, moisturizing, and nourishing creams with a herbal infusion or oil, in order to further pamper and soothe your skin.
(As with any new cosmetic, before using any herbal cream or oil on your skin, pretest on a small area first. If no allergic reaction occurs, then feel free to use the herbal remedy on your face, hands, and body.)
Chamomile cleansing milk—With its lemon juice content, this preparation is especially suitable for normal and oily skins.
½ cup buttermilk
2 T lemon juice
3 T chamomile tisane
1. Beat the above ingredients together until they are well blended. Pour into jars and store in the refrigerator between uses.
To use: Soak a pad of absorbent cotton in the cleansing milk, and wipe it lightly over your face and neck, being careful to avoid the area around your eyes.
Dandelion Flower Cleanser— Dandelion flowers have a drying effect and are especially good for oily skin types, and are very helpful in clearing up acne.
Simmer ½ cup of dandelion flowers in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes in soft water.
Use the strained and cooled liquid as a cleansing wash for the skin.
Fennel Cleanser—Fennel leaves have an aniseed aroma. This mixture cleanses the day’s grime away gently but thoroughly.
1 T fennel seed
1 cup of boiling water
1 tsp honey
2 T buttermilk
- Lightly crush the fennel seeds. Pour boiling water over the crushed seeds, and allow it to infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Then carefully strain the cooled liquid into a small bowl. Stir in the honey and buttermilk. Transfer the mixture to a clean bottle and keep it refrigerated between uses.
Lavender Cleansing Cream—Lavender refreshes and feeds the skin, and is very suitable for dry skin. This rich cleansing cream helps replenish your natural oils.
6 T almond oil
10 T grated white wax
3 T lavender water
½ cup cider vinegar
1 drop oil of lavender
1. Melt the oil and wax in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Beat in the lavender water, cider vinegar, and oil of lavender. Pour this cream into a lidded jar. Do not refrigerate.
To use: Smooth the fragrant milk over your face and neck, taking care to avoid the delicate area around your eyes. Remove excess milk with cotton balls.
Facial Steam—This fragrant steam will be helpful in cleansing both dry and greasy skins. Choose the herb according to your skin type.
chamomile—calming, cleansing, cooling, and soothing;
dandelion—bleaching and drying
lavender—antiseptic, stimulating, and toning
marigold—astringent, cleansing, toning, and healing;
peppermint—astringent, cleansing, and soothing;
rosemary—cleansing, and stimulating
thyme—antiseptic, cleansing, and toning;
2 cups fresh herbs or 1 cup dried herbs
hot water, not boiling
1. Put the herb(s) of your choice in a bowl. Pour in the hot water, and stir well.
2. Drape a towel over your head to trap in the steam. Steam your face for 5 minutes.
3. If your skin is dry, you can replenish it by massaging in a little bit of moisturizing cream after the steaming.