Cardamom & Lime Sandwich Cookies with Chai Floating IslandsEmail This Post
What a wonderful combination Gay Lea has put together for this Holiday Season. It is a must to include in your Christmas baking! The Chai floating islands add just that little extra pizzaz to an already delicious treat! Enjoy! Happy Holidays everyone!
|1 cup||Gay Lea® Butter (Unsalted), softened|
|½ cup||Redpath® Instant Dissolving Sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|1 3/4 cups||all-purpose flour|
|2 tsp||ground cardamom|
|¼ cup||Naturegg™ Simply Egg Whites™ - well shaken|
|1 tbsp||each finely grated lime zest and juice|
|3 cups||Redpath® icing sugar|
|Chai Floating Islands (see below)|
To make the Shortbread:
1. Beat the butter with the sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl stir flour with the cornstarch, cardamom & salt; beat into butter mixture on low speed. 3. Divide the dough into two portions and shape each into a log, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
4. Chill for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to slice easily.
5. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven. 6. Slice the logs into ⅛ inch (3 mm) thick rounds; transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. 7. Bake in batches and rotate the sheets halfway through baking for 15 minutes or until bottoms are pale golden.
8. Cool completely on a rack.
To make the Frosting:
1. Meanwhile, beat egg whites with lime zest and juice until foamy.
2. Add the icing sugar and beat on low until combined.
3. Beat on high until fluffy; chill if needed until firm but spreadable.
4. Spread 1 tsp (5 mL) frosting onto the bottom of half of the cookies.
5. Sandwich with a second cookie and serve with Chai Floating Islands.
Makes about 5 dozen sandwich cookies
Tips: Store the unfrosted baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Frost the cookies no more than 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Frosting can be made up to one day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Let stand at room temperature until spreadable before frosting cookies.
Chai Floating Islands:
6 cups milk
5 Chai tea bags (or use one of the all natural Chai recipes available in betweenclosefriends )
½ cup Redpath® Instant Dissolving Sugar
¼ cup Naturegg™ Simply Egg Whites™, well shaken
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat the milk, Chai tea bags and half the sugar in a deep skillet set over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until simmering. 2. Meanwhile, beat egg whites with vanilla until fluffy. With the mixer on high, gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. 3. Use two spoons to create eight smooth ovals from the meringue mixture & float on the warm tea mixture. 4. Simmer, gently spooning the warm tea mixture over the meringues every 2 min, until set (about 6 min.). 5. Carefully divide the tea mixture between eight teacups and top with a meringue. 6. Serve immediately with sandwich cookies.
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 30 Minutes
Tags: baking for compliments, best ever Christmas cookie recipes, best ever Christmas recipes, best ever spicy shortbread, butter shortbread, cardamon, cardamon cookies, cardamon shortbread cookies, cardamon uses, Chai recipes, Christmas baking, Christmas cookies, Christmas sandwich cookies, cookies, holiday baking, holiday cookies, homemade chai, how to make shortbread cookies, lime, lime cookies, Lime shortbread cookies, sandwich cookies, Shortbread, shortbread cookies, shortbread sandwich cookies, spicy shortbread cookies, tasty lime recipes, updated Christmas cookies, updated Christmas recipes